10 REASONS WHY THE 10 PUSHUP CHALLENGE IS GOOD FOR YOU
Ok maybe you find it annoying.It's another viral social media thing that seems to serve very little purpose to you, your life, or your well-being.Well what if I told you that there may be good reason to pay attention to this phenomenon? And to, perhaps, actually join in?? Intrigued?
Good…now get down and give me ten!
- It's communal.Love it or hate it, social media is a communal space.And viral little things like the ten push up challenge, the ice water dump, the see shot / take shot, all reinforce the human desire to be a part of a community.This challenge is one more representative of that and you can bet that people are joining in.
- It's Inclusive. It feels good to be included.So when you wake up and sign into your account, it is exciting to see yourself tagged in the ten push-up post.You feel included.And feeling included, feels good!
- It promotes connection. Part of the activity is that once you have been called out and complete your ten push-ups, it becomes time for you to reach out to your friends, family, or loved one's to challenge them.It's important that we reach out to the people that we enjoy from time to time.This challenge promotes it.
- It's SMART.We've heard that goals are more likely to be achieved when they are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Based.Well, having 24 hours to complete 10, simple push-ups achieves all five SMART goal checkboxes.
- It's physical. The push-up is an exercise.Exercise is good for you.
- It's anticipatory.It's fun to look forward to something.As such, having some anticipation if you are going to get called out and/or awaiting to see those that you challenged complete their pushups, is exciting.It's anticipatory.We all need something to look forward to, even if it's silly.
- It's challenging. Ten push ups might not be the most difficult thing in the world to do, but it is still more difficult than doing nothing.As such, we thrive with a gentle challenge.We are meant to be pushed little bit.It enlivens us.Being challenged wakes us up!
- It's motivating. It can also be motivating.If you can't do 10 push ups, maybe it motivates you to work towards that.Or maybe once you realize how good those little endorphins feel after that brief bout of exercise, perhaps you are more inclined and motivated to take your work out routine up a notch.
- It's distracting. During a lock down, stay at home, world is falling apart pandemic, it's nice to have a little distraction from the day-to-day mundane.The ten push-up challenge does just that.
- It's fun.Finally, it's fun! Usually at the end of the push-ups there's a smile on the face.There's a smirk when the names are read or identified.There's a bit of good humored, ball busting at the style or ability level of the push ups that is all in the name of fun.And i'd say we need a little bit of fun right now.
So yes, maybe you're annoyed.“Do I have to see one more set of push ups.”Well, you know what, maybe you do.It just might be good for you.